- Hamarikyu district Chuo

. Famous Places and Power spots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

Hamarikyuu 浜離宮庭園 Hama Rikyu Park

- quote
Hama-rikyū Gardens (浜離宮恩賜庭園, Hama-rikyū Onshi Teien)
is a public park in Chūō ward, Tokyo, Japan. Located at the mouth of the Sumida River, it was opened to the public on April 1, 1946. A landscaped garden of 250,216 m² includes Shio-iri Pond, and the park is surrounded by a seawater moat filled by Tokyo Bay. It was remodeled as a public park on the site of a villa belonging to the ruling Tokugawa family in the 17th century.
At the centre of Shio-iri Pond is a teahouse, reached by three bridges, where visitors can enjoy refreshments, such as matcha and Japanese sweets, in the tea-ceremony style.
The park includes a peony garden, a plum tree grove and fields with flowers for every season. Japanese falconry and aikido are demonstrated at New Year.
- - - - - History
In 1654, Tokugawa Tsunashige, the younger brother of Shōgun Tokugawa Iemitsu and daimyō of Kōfu Domain, received permission to reclaim land from Edo Bay, upon which he built a villa and garden. The property was inherited by his son, Tokugawa Ienobu, who later became 6th Tokugawa shōgun.
Succeeding generations of shōgun used the location as a secondary residence, and from the time of Tokugawa Ienari through Tokugawa Ieyoshi, it was a place where the shōgun could indulge in falconry.
The main palace at Hama was destroyed by fire in 1724, and was not rebuilt since.
In 1729, an elephant which had been received by the shōgun as a present from Annam was kept on the grounds for 12 years.
During the Bakumatsu period, the site was turned over to the Tokugawa Navy as a training ground. In 1867, the shogunate erected a western-style stone building as a place for foreign diplomats to stay when visiting Edo.
After the Meiji restoration,
the site was proclaimed the "Hama Palace" (浜離宮, Hama-rikyū) by Emperor Meiji, and continued to be used as a state guest house until the construction of the Rokumeikan.
In 1879, Emperor Meiji received Crown Prince Frederick of Germany at the Hama-rikyū. Later that year, former United States President Ulysses Grant stayed for a month at the Hama-rikyū during his extended visit to Japan.
The state guest house was demolished in 1889.
The gardens burned during the 1923 Great Kanto earthquake and again in March 1945 during the Tokyo air raid.
In November 1945, the Hama-rikyū was transferred from the Imperial Household Agency to Tokyo Metropolis and was opened as a public garden in April 1946.
In 1952, it was designated as a Special National Historic Site and also as a Special Place of Scenic Beauty.
Various tea houses have been reconstructed in the 2010s.
- source : wikipedia

Shio-iri 汐入 Shioiri
Shioiri Park is a large multi-purpose park on the banks of the Sumida River in Arakawa Ward. Shioiri Park 汐入公園. 8 chome Minami-Senju, Arakawa ward.

. Arakawa 荒川 Arakawa district - "wild river" .


- - - To join me on facebook, click the image !


. Chūō ku, Chuuoo Ku 中央区 Chuo Ward "Central Ward" .

. Kaido 街道 Highways - ABC Index .

. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

. Edo bakufu 江戸幕府 The Edo Government .

. Japanese Architecture - The Japanese Home .

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .

- - - - - #hamarikyu #shioiri #elephant #汐入 - - - -

No comments: