3/10/2020

Kunigami Hosei Kaido

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
. Kaido 街道 Highways - ABC Index .
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kunigami Hosei Kaido 国頭方西海道 Kunigami Hosei Sea Road
国頭方西海道 Kunigamiho Nishikaido - Western Sea Road
国頭(くんちゃん) Kunichan

Now mostly Highway 58.
At the Northern tip of Okinawa Island, the "head of the land" (Kunigami).
(In Okinawa many names can be read in Japanese or the dialect of the area.)

An old highway under the direction of the Ryukyu Okoku 琉球王国 Ryukyu Kingdom in Okinawa.
Shukumichi 宿道(しゅくみち)/ 宿道(すくみち) Sukumichi



There were four roads in the area
In 西 the West of Okinawa
中頭方西海道 Nakagamiho Nishikaido
国頭方西海道 Kunigamiho Nishikaido

- In 東 the East of Okinawa
中頭方東海道 Nakagamiho Tokaido
国頭方東海道 Kunigamiho Tokaido

The road via 読谷 Yomitan and 喜納 Kina to 恩納 Onna was called 「国頭方西海道.

In 1690, under the direction of 薩摩 the Satsuma clan the roads were paved with stones 石畳道 and about 1.5 to 3 meters wide. Many parts of the stone roads can still be seen today.

- Places along the road -
Shuri 首里
Mount Urasoe 浦添山
Kunigami region 国頭地方
Onna village 恩納村
Maeda no ichirizuka 真栄田の一里塚
Feeree iwa フェーレー岩
Nakadomari Iseki 仲泊遺跡
Nakadomari no ichirizuka 仲泊の一里塚
Hiyagonbira ishidatami michi 比屋根坂石畳道




..............................................................................................................................................


- quote -
Shuri (首里, Okinawan: スイ Sui or Shui, Northern Ryukyuan: しより Shiyori)
is a district of the city of Naha, Okinawa. It was formerly a separate city in and of itself, and the royal capital of the Ryūkyū Kingdom. A number of famous historical sites are located in Shuri, including Shuri Castle, the Shureimon gate, Sunuhyan-utaki (a sacred space of the native Ryukyuan religion), and royal mausoleum Tamaudun, all of which are designated World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.

Originally established as a castle town surrounding the royal palace, Shuri ceased to be the capital when the kingdom was abolished and incorporated into Japan as Okinawa prefecture. In 1896, Shuri was made a ward (区, ku) of the new prefectural capital, Naha, though it was made a separate city again in 1921. In 1954, it was merged again into Naha.
- - - More in the WIKIPEDIA !

..............................................................................................................................................

Onna village 恩納村


.......................................................................

Maeda no ichirizuka 真栄田の一里塚 distance marker mound


.......................................................................

Feeree iwa フェーレー岩 Fērē Rock, Fere Rock


.......................................................................

Nakadomari Iseki 仲泊遺跡 Nakadomari ruins


.......................................................................

Hiyagonbira ishidatami michi 比屋根坂石畳道 stone-paved road



::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- quote -

Kunigami (国頭村, Kunigami-son, Kunigami: Kunzan, Okinawan: Kunjan)
is a village in Kunigami District, Okinawa Prefecture.
- - - - - History
According to Chūzan Seikan, the goddess Amamikyu consecrated the first utaki in Asa Forest at Hedo, in what is now Kunigami; the forest is also mentioned in Omoro Sōshi.
Ceramics from the Jōmon-period Uzahama Site (宇佐浜遺跡) resemble those found in the Amami Islands. Chūzan Seikan records the prayers of the Kunigami council for the recovery of Shō Sei after an abortive attempt to occupy Amami Ōshima in 1537, while Kyūyō recounts the appointment of the son of the Kunigami Oyakata as aji after the successful takeover of the Amami Islands by Shō Gen in 1571.
Kunigami District was established in 1896 and, upon the abolition of Kunigami magiri, Kunigami Village was founded in 1908. During the Battle of Okinawa, the area saw an influx of refugees fleeing the heavy fighting in the south. In September 1945, the occupying government merged the three villages of Kunigami, Higashi, and Ōgimi into the new city of Hentona (辺土名市); the merger was reversed the following year.
- - - - - Chuzan Seikan (中山世鑑, lit. Mirror of Chūzan),
compiled in 1650 by Shō Shōken, is the first official history of the Ryūkyū Kingdom. In six scrolls, the main text occupies five and an accompanying summary the sixth. Unlike later official histories such as Chūzan Seifu and Kyūyō, which were written in kanbun, Chūzan Seikan is largely written in Japanese, other than for the summary and a number of quotes in Chinese.
The account of Shō Nei, whose reign saw invasion and subjugation by Satsuma, opens with the statement that the kingdom had been in subordinate vassal status to the Shimazu clan since the Eikyō era. The account of the siring of Shunten by Minamoto no Tametomo was similarly exploited during the Meiji period and after to help legitimize the annexation of the kingdom and its reconfiguration first as the Ryūkyū Domain and subsequently as Okinawa Prefecture.
- - - More in the WIKIPEDIA !


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


. Japanese Legends - 伝説 民話 昔話 – ABC-List .


................................................................................. Okinawa

kurukanizaashi 黒金座主,mimichiri booji 耳切坊主
The Gruesome Story of Kurogane

- quote -

A younger brother of the Ryukyu King lived in this enclosure near Shuri Castle.
Prince Chatan and, his pregnant wife were residents of this place, called Ufumura Udun.
Kurogane, a hairy, dark skinned Buddhist Monk, was accused of witchcraft.
The king, ordered Prince Chatan, to eliminate him.
The Prince invited Kurogane to his home for a game of Go (chess) and, they placed bets.
If the Prince lost, he would cut off his topknot and, give it to the Monk.
The Priest, pulled his ears, grinning, "You can have these if, I lose."
The game started and, Kurogane decided it would be best, to cheat.
He began whispering some magic words.
- - - - - continue reading here
- source : ryukyulife.com/2015... -

..............................................................................................................................................

- reference : nichibun yokai database -
31 国頭 (01)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


- - - - - P O E T R Y - - - - -

国頭の山の桜の緋に咲きて
さびしき春も 深みゆくなり


釈迢空 Shaku Choku / 折口信夫 Orikuchi Shinobu (1887 - 1953)




::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



- - - To join me on facebook, click the image !

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


. kaidoo 街道と伝説 Legends about the old Kaido highways .

. Kaido 街道 Highways - ABC Index .

. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

. Edo bakufu 江戸幕府 The Edo Government .

. Doing Business in Edo - 商売 - Introduction .

. shokunin 職人 craftsman, craftsmen, artisan, Handwerker .

. senryu, senryū 川柳 Senryu poems in Edo .

. Japanese Architecture - The Japanese Home .

. Interior Design - The Japanese Home .

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .


[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- - - - - #kunigamihosei #くにがみほうせいかいどう #okinawa #searoad - - - -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: