8/13/2018

Sumida ward

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .
- for Honjo-Hayashi, see below
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sumida ku, Sumida-ku 墨田区 Sumida ward, "ink field"



- quote
Sumida (墨田区 Sumida-ku),  is a special ward located in Tokyo Metropolis, Japan. The English translation of its Japanese self-designation is Sumida City.
- - - - - History
The ward was founded on March 15, 1947. It was previously the (ordinary) wards Honjo and Mukojima.
Mukojima, formed in 1932, contained the former town of Sumida, which along with the river gave the ward its name.
- - - - - Landmarks
Tokyo Skytree: A digital terrestrial television broadcasting tower used by NHK and other broadcasters. It is the tallest tower in the world and the tallest man-made structure in Japan.
Ryōgoku Kokugikan (National Sumo Stadium)
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Asahi Breweries Headquarters: The Asahi Beer Hall with the Asahi flame created by French designer Philippe Starck in 1989, is one of Tokyo's most recognizable modern structures.[1]
Eko-in: Buddhist temple
Honjo Matsuzaka-cho Park: the residence of Kira Yoshinaka stood on this site. The Forty-seven Ronin took his life during the Genroku era.
Hokusai-dori (street), with a series of prints by famed Japanese artist Hokusai who was born in the Kamezawa area of Sumida.
Sumida Triphony Hall, concert hall
Tobu Museum
Tokyo Irei-do (Tokyo Memorial Hall): a memorial to those unidentified people who died in the Great Kantō earthquake, the Bombing of Tokyo in World War II and other catastrophes; by Itō Chūta
Yokoamicho Park, in the Yokoami district
- source : wikipedia




. Honjo 本所 and 向島 Mukojima .

- Districts
The river 北十間川 Kitajikkengawa divides: South is former Honjo, North is former Mukojima.
. Jikkendana 十軒店 (じっけんだな) area in Chuo Ward .

北部(旧向島区)Northern Part (former Mukojima)
墨田(すみだ) Sumida
堤通(つつみどおり) Tsutsumidori
東墨田(ひがしすみだ) Higashi-Sumida
八広(やひろ) Yahiro
. 東向島 Higashi-Mukojima . - former Terajima 寺島町/ 寺島村
立花(たちばな) Tachibana
- - - . Shirahige 白ひげ / 白鬚 Shirahige district "white beard" .
文花(ぶんか) Bunka
京島(きょうじま) Kyojima

中央部(旧本所区・向島区)Central part, former Honjo and Mukojima
吾妻橋(あづまばし) Azumabashi
本所(ほんじょ)Honjo
向島(むこうじま) Mukojima
. Narihira 業平 Narihira district .
. Oshiage 押上 Oshiage district . - Sumida
..... Oshinari おしなり Shopping, 東京スカイツリー Tokyo Skytree
..... 押上天祖神社 Oshiage Tenso Shrine / 高木神社 Takagi Shrine / 飛木稲荷神社 Tobiki Inari Shrine
横川(よこかわ)Yokogawa (as opposed to Tatekawa)

南部(旧本所区)Southern part, former Honjo
. Yokoami 横網 Yokoami district .
両国(りょうごく)Ryogoku
千歳(ちとせ) Chitose
石原(いしわら) Ishiwara
亀沢(かめざわ) Kamezawa
. Midori 緑(みどり) "Green" district .
立川 / 竪川 (たてかわ)Tatekawa (as opposed to Yokokawa)
菊川(きくかわ)Kikukawa
太平(たいへい)Taihei
. Kinshi 錦糸 Kinshi "brocade thread" district .
江東橋(こうとうばし)Kotobashi


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


. Sumidagawa, Sumida-gawa 隅田川 River Sumida .
a river which flows through Tokyo. It branches from the Arakawa River at Iwabuchi and flows into Tokyo Bay.
With many Ukiyo-E by Hokusai.



.......................................................................

. Sumidagawa Shichi Fukujin 隅田川七福神 Seven Gods of God Luck .



::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::




Distant View of the Kinryuzan and the Azumabashi Bridge 吾妻橋金竜山遠望
広重 Utagawa Hiroshige

.......................................................................

Azuma-bashi / Hiroshige


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .


................................................................................. Honjo Ishiwara 本所石原町

inu no tatari 犬の祟り the curse of the dog
Around August in 1729, there lived a man in Ishiwara named 徳山五郎兵衛 Tokuyama Gorobei. One of his friends named 八郎 Hachiro suddenly begun to grow a tail like a dog at his behind. Sometimes he did not eat his breakfast for quite a few days. When they put food in a suribachi すり鉢 mortar, he ate it with delight. Then his face begun to change and he became a dog.
This was the curse of all the dogs he had killed in his lifetime.


................................................................................. Honjo Koume 本所小梅町

kitsune 狐 fox
Around 1700, a fox lived in an Inari shrine at Koume. When an old woman from the nearby tea stall called for it, the fox showed up. If other people called for it, the fox never showed up.


本所小梅 Honjo Koume
広重 Hiroshige



本所小梅 Honjo Koume Embankment
広重 Hiroshige


................................................................................. Honjo Matsui 本所松井町

kitsune 狐 fox
In 1822, the colera was rampant.There was also a fox who bewitched people and they lost their ives.
A woman in Matsui town suddenly became crazy and people thought this must have been a fox. She could answer questions and served as a medium. But this became a problem and an exorcist came to help her. She jumped out of a window and they saw a fox running away. The woman did not remember anything.


................................................................................. Honjo Midori 本所緑町

kamikiri 髪切 hair cut off
A maid servant of 善兵衛 Zenbei went to the outhouse, but suddenly became dizzy and fell down. When she came back to her senses and went to the main house, she found that her hair had been cut off.


................................................................................. Honjo Tatekawa 本所竪川通り町

ryootoo no hebi 両頭蛇 serpent with two heads
On the 24th day of the 11th lunar month in 1820, a man named 卯之助 Unosuke walked along the Tatekawa road and saw a snake with two heads. It was about 1 meter long.



................................................................................. Sumida 墨田区

. Mimeguri Jinja 三囲神社 / 三圍神社 Mimeguri Shrine .
an Inari fox deity and the Mitsui Family 三井


.......................................................................
hyakunichizeki 百日咳(百日せき)whooping cough, pertussis
If a child had lived 100 days after being born its mother had to take a different route home, passing over seven bridges. That would protect the child from getting a whooping cough.
If by any bad luck a child got the whooping cough, the mother had to pat the skin of the baby with a 飯杓子 rice paddle and then place the baby into a komebitsu 米びつ container to keep cooked rice for serving. This would heal the baby.

. hyakunichizeki 百日咳/ 百日せき と伝説 Legends about whooping cough .

.......................................................................
sakana 魚 fish
at 安楽寺 temple Anraku-Ji
At the sacred pond of the Temple someone had been fishing with a rod, but then got a high fever and died.
Another person had taken out fish with a net, but he also died soon after.


Tomisaka Inari fox shrine 富坂稲荷
The maid of a certain family once went for an errand as usual but did not come back. When they searched for her, they found her crouching at the Shrine for Tomisaka Inari. She had been bewitched by a fox and even her facial expression had changed. She begun to eat a lot and soon lost her senses.
This also happened to another maid servant and then even to the daughter of the family. Eventually the family was extinguished and the only daughter left had a hard life herself.
She had some exorcist rites done and eventually was healed.

..............................................................................................................................................

- reference : nichibun yokai database -

..............................................................................................................................................

. Shubi no Matsu 首尾の松 "Pine of Success" .
On the bank of the river Sumidagawa

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Honjo Hayashi cho 本所林町 Honjo Hayashi, Honjo-Hayashi
墨田区 Sumida、立川 / 竪川 Tatekawa, first to third district

This area has been developed since 1661, after the Ryogokubashi bridge had been cast over the river Sumidagawa. It was a swamp and many new canals were dug out to get the area dry,
for example 竪川 Tatekawa and 横川 Yokokawa.
On the higher land beside the rivers, new estates of Samurai could now be built. Honjo Hayashi was one of them. It was on the South side of Tatekawa.
The name refers to 旗本 Hatamoto bannerman clan named 林氏 the Hayashi.



. Tatekawa 竪川 (vertical canal) / Yokokawa 横川 (horizontal canal) .
Midorichō 本所緑町 Honjo Midori "Green district"


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



- - - To join me on facebook, click the image !

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. Places and Power spots of Edo .


. Edo bakufu 江戸幕府 The Edo Government .

. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

. Doing Business in Edo - 商売 - Introduction .

. shokunin 職人 craftsman, craftsmen, artisan, Handwerker .

. senryu, senryū 川柳 Senryu poems in Edo .

. Japanese Architecture - The Japanese Home .

. Interior Design - The Japanese Home .

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .


[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- - - - - #sumidaku #sumidaward #sumida - - - -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: